S H A K I R A
LOVE ME OR HATE ME
“My brain, I believe, is the most beautiful part of my body.”
“The leaders are lacking love, and love is lacking leaders.”
Who Is Shakira?
- BIRTH DATE
- February 2, 1977 (age 43)
- PLACE OF BIRTH
- Barranquilla, Colombia
- FULL NAME
- Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll
- ZODIAC SIGN
Early Life and CareerShakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll was born on February 2, 1977, in Barranquilla, Colombia. With a Lebanese father and Colombian mother, Shakira honors both her Latino and Arabic heritage in her music. She wrote her first song at the age of 8 and signed her first record deal at 13.
Breakthrough: 'Pies Descalzos'After her first two albums flopped, Shakira took the reins of her third album, becoming involved in every aspect of its production.
- Released in 1996, Pies Descalzos, meaning "bare feet," sold more than 3 million copies. The album featured her trademark sound, a blend of Latin, rock and Arabic musical styles.
- Her follow-up record, Dónde Están Los Ladrones? (1998), which translates as "Where are the thieves?", reached the top of Billboard's Latin charts. Not long after, Shakira won her first Grammy Award (best Latin pop album) for Shakira: MTV Unplugged (2000).
- With the success of her albums, Shakira became a music superstar in the Spanish-language markets, known for her strong vocals and incredible hip-shaking belly dance moves.
- HIPS DO NOT LIE, DON'T THEY!?
- The album reached No. 3 on the charts, selling more than 200,000 copies in its first week of release. Laundry Service's big hits included "Whenever, Wherever" and "Underneath Your Clothes."
- In an attempt to increase her American fan base, in 1997, at the age of 20, the singer moved with her family to Miami, Florida, and taught herself to write songs in English. There, she enlisted Emilio Estefan, of Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine fame, to act as her manager and producer.
Post a Comment